Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Dealing with Files on the Chromebook

If you were to look at the Desktop on my Mac or my PC, you would see files and icons by the dozens (most of the time).  To you it looks chaotic, but to me it is just normal.

It is my first stage of file management.  If you were to look on my backup drives and at other ways I save data, you would find a system fit for a person with OCD.  It is who I am.

Now, if you were to take a look at my Chromebook, you wouldn't recognize me.  Nothing on the desktop (because it isn't meant to have clutter on it).

My files are neatly arranged in my Google Drive.  When I download from the internet, I am directed by the Files app to put them somewhere, and it seems intuitive enough because I don't like my Cloud drives to be cluttered.

I know, you are saying that I could easily do that with my PC or Mac, but there is something about having it on my desktop that seems comfortable--and there is something about being organized in the cloud that feels comfortable.  Now, I realize I have some issues, but I am not going to spend years in therapy to get my computer file quirks figured out.  Let's just say the Chromebook takes care of my quirks for me.

I worried a little about this experiment that I would not be able to adjust to file storage while using a Chromebook.  Almost a week in, and it doesn't seem to be problem.

I will go into depth at another time, but I am finding that I can plug in hard drives and flash drives, and the Files app helps me get the job done with ease.  No issues as I might have guessed.

I have 115 GB of storage space in my Google Drive for the next two years.  I don't anticipate running out of space, but it might be possible.  I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, I will keep filling my neatly organized folders, and not spending much time worrying about file management.

No comments:

Post a Comment