Wednesday, March 2, 2016

USB Equipment Test- Behringer Mixing Board

This test of the Chromebook came about because today is my regular radio show (Connect).

The regular set-up is a MacBook connected to a Behringer digital mixing board through a USB cord.  I use a high quality Behringer condenser microphone with XLR connection to the mixer.

After I finished my show, I still had all of the equipment out, so I decided to run a quick test.

I have to admit that it floored me when I plugged in the Behringer mixer to the USB port of the Chromebook, it automatically connected and was recognized by the system.

On more than one occasion, I have plugged that same mixer into my MacBook, or another PC, and it was not recognized.  I would have to go into System Preferences and reassign the channels, and in some cases I would need to restart a Windows machine to get it to recognize a new USB device.

The Chromebook gets high marks for the simple and easy connection.  I don't expect it with every USB device that I plug in, but this was a significant finding.

I then ran a little test of the microphone and board with the Beautiful Audio Editor app and found excellent sound quality and a richer, bolder sound than the built-in microphone.

In the future, when I create podcasts and the like with the Chromebook, I will use the USB mixer and get a little better quality.

Below you can hear the difference between this week's test with Monday's test:


So, successful test. More insights to come with future testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment