Thursday, March 10, 2016

Streaming Music with the Chromebook

A must in my work space is a way to stream music.  It is the compliment to much writing and website management.

Over the years, I have used a little bit of everything with my Mac--iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, TuneIn, and Amazon--I have been using the Chrome browser on y Mac since its beginning.

I can truthfully say that I never used Google Play that much. After all, how many streaming sites do you need through the day?

With the new Chromebook, I made a decision to give it a full test.

First step, I uploaded some of my music from iTunes to Google play using the Music Manager program.  It was a simple download and an easy process that works behind the scenes.

I discovered just how much music I have in the Cloud, so I downloaded a dozen albums to my Mac, activated Music Manager and uploaded those albums to Google Play.

I got what I wanted transferred easily, and began playing my own music without a glitch.

Google Play also has streaming radio channels that are quite eclectic, and much like Pandora, will play a mixture of music similar to the artist that you choose.

The app figured out quickly what I listen to based on my own music, and gave me a dozen choices to choose from (James Taylor Radio, Lyle Lovett Radio, Jackson Brown Radio, etc.)

I can easily find another genre if I choose. So far, I like the selections of Google Play better than Pandora, but sometimes I wish I had the choice to listen to whole albums like I do on Spotify.

Best of all, I have access to the other apps that I use regularly- Pandora and Spotify.

With my Chromebook docked with the external monitor and a cheap sound system plugged into the audio out n the monitor, I am getting excellent audio that rivals anything that came out of the Mac.

Summary- The Chromebook does an excellent job of streaming music, Google Play is an excellent and inexpensive option for listening to music. I can use all of the other music apps just as easily. I am at work and surrounded by music that I love. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment