Friday, February 26, 2016

The All Day Battery

I have owned laptops since about 1993.

The first one I had started out with the ability to hold a charge about 3 hours, and within a year, battery life was down to an hour before having to plug it in.

I had an iBook back around 2003, that started out at 4 hours battery life, and then slowed down to less than 2 hours after a few years.  But I can say that this laptop can still be found in my home, and still runs much of the software that I had 13 years ago.  (Though Internet capabilities are quite the experience since it is using a 9 year old browser that cannot be updated further).

My MacBook will get 2.5 hours of use before it sleeps peacefully (it started out at almost 4 hours in 2013), and my Windows machine can get nearly 3 hours due to the the SSD drive being light on power usage.

The old 2011 Chromebook hasn't been off the power cord for a few years now.  I know that it had okay battery life before it became a dedicated streaming media device, about 8 hours on the charge in its beginnings, closer to 5 when it took its place with the TV and sound system.

Yesterday, the first day of the experiment was a great beginning for the Lenovo 100S.  The reviews said I could get up to 11 hours, and that was about right.

I took it to work, turned it on and left it running for much of the work day.  I tested out streaming music programs and Google Play (will report on this on another day) and some basic tasks like writing the blog, surfing the net and checking out some new extensions.  I brought the laptop home, surfed in front of some shows we watched, and piddled some more, and at about 8:30 pm I plugged it back in (with 8% showing in battery life).  Nearly 12 hours after I took it off the charger, it was still doing its job.

Currently as I am writing this piece at around 2:30 pm, a click on settings says I have 11 hours + or 97% of the battery left.  Granted, I didn't work it as hard today, it has mostly sat idle, but I would say that this Chromebook is on its way to being the least power hungry machine I have every owned.

I will get back with you in about 6 months with an update on battery life. Right now, I am pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment