Thursday, February 25, 2016

Experiment Launched

I am not new to the Chromebook.  I am an early adopter.

Sometime during the first year that they were available (2011), I saw a bright red tag in Best Buy with the price of $149, and I jumped on it.

I used it as my personal laptop for a couple of years, until I bought a Macbook, and then the Chromebook was relegated to becoming the family TV laptop. (That's right, we do not have cable, and the Chromebook streams all kinds of shows and movies from Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.)

That nearly 5 year old laptop is one of the most reliable devices I have ever owned.  It has not slowed down, and it actually does more than it could in 2011 because there are so many more apps and extensions than in the beginning.  (I can't say that about my Macbook which is starting to show its wear after three years, a couple of hardware updates, and an investment of $1000 before upgrades).

This experiment begins today with a new Chromebook.  Again, it was a bright red sale sign at Best Buy with a price tag of $149 that kicked it off.  The Lenovo 100S was on its way out of stock, and it was a solid product that I knew something about, so why not?

My wife would say that I have too many computers and devices already (and she would be right), but since this is a valid experiment, I am chalking it up to science.

So, here's the experiment...
  • I am going to keep my new Chromebook handy, try to write every day, and put it through its paces as a competent replacement to one of my business computers (I have both Mac and Windows machines currently on my work desk).
  • I will try and do some of the same things that I do every day in my work on the Chromebook, and compare the experiences.
  • I will try things on my Chromebook that I have never tried before and report on my findings.
  • Though I adopted the Chrome browser in its first months (Fall 2008), and have used various Google products for years, this experiment will look deeper at the applications and extensions available for this environment.
So, this writing project is off and running...on a new Chromebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment